DAY ONE: Monday, October 30, 2017
7:30 – 8:30 am
Registration, Breakfast & Exhibits (Exhibits will be open for the entire conference & will feature:)
30+ exhibitors will showcase their technologies, provide demos, & be available for Q&A
LaunchPad SBDC Showcase:
OCTANe’s Accelerator, LaunchPad, will highlight its 8 presenting companies & top medtech alumni
Edwards Lifesciences Health Pavilion:
Complimentary flu vaccinations, health screening & education
Organizations to help accelerate innovation on a global scale
8:30 – 8:45am
The MedTech Powerhouse: Southern California Closes the Gap as a Leading Innovation Ecosystem
– Bill Carpou, CEO, OCTANe
8:45 – 9:45am
Keynote: Value Based Healthcare
The CEO of Medtronic, Omar Ishrak, will provide a keynote on value based healthcare, followed by an interview with the Senior Vice President & President of Brain Therapies at Medtronic, Brett Wall.
– Omar Ishrak, CEO, Medtronic
– Brett Wall, Senior Vice President & President – Brain Therapies, Medtronic
9:45 – 10:15am
Keynote: Staying Ahead of the Curve – Update from the Hill
Jeffrey J. Kimbell, a leading representative to top companies in the life science community regarding legislative and policy remedies, and Congresswoman Mimi Walters, will provide an election update and the latest news from capitol hill and the State of California.
– Jeffrey J. Kimbell, President, Jeffrey J. Kimbell & Associates
– Congresswoman Mimi Walters, U.S. Representative (R-CA 45th District)
10:15 – 10:45am
Exhibit & Refreshment Break
10:45 – 11:30am
Panel: What’s Next in MedTech Innovation
This panel will highlight the future of medtech innovation, including the latest technologies in neurovascular and cardiovascular medicine, ophthalmology and cancer from Orange County’s leading academic health system, UC Irvine Health.
– Michael Artinger, Managing Director- Research Translation Group, UCI Applied Innovation
– Steve Small, Professor of Neurology and Chief Scientific Officer- Medical Innovation Institute, UCI School of Medicine
– Dr. Richard Van Etten, Director, Chao Family Comprehensive Cancer Center, UCI
– Dr. Baruch Kupperman, Chair- Department of Ophthalmology, & Director of the Gavin Herbert Eye Insitute, UCI
11:30 – 12:15pm
Panel: Anatomy of Success
This panel will focus on Orange County startup success stories. Medtech CEOs will share their individual paths taken, lessons learned, and identify opportunities to increase the rate of success.
– Sabing Lee, Partner, Knobbe Martens (Moderator)
– Bob Rosenbluth, Co-Founder, Sequent Medical; President, Inceptus Medical
– Brian Cox, Co-Founder, Sequent Medical; Vice President, Inceptus Medical
– Tom Wilder, Former CEO, Sequent Medical; CEO, Neuros Medical
12:15 – 12:45
Keynote: Human Interest Story from a Patient Perspective
This keynote will feature an Allergan patient’s personal story, and incorporate perspectives from both the company and physician that helped transform their lives.
– Sara, Breast cancer survivor and Allergan patient
– Carrie Strom, Vice President of Aesthetic & Regenerative Medicne, Allergan
12:45 – 1:45
Lunch & Exhibit Break
1:45 – 2:30
Industry Track: Healthcare Reform, Regulation & Reimbursement: Where Are We Going & How Will it Work?
This session will feature a panel discussion on the status of healthcare reform, regulation and reimbursement from government agencies, such at HHS, FDA, CMS, and industry. It will also highlight local companies that have been impacted and their learnings.
– Michael Lawhead, Shareholder, Stradling
– Scott Whitaker, CEO, AdvaMed
– Brendan Benner, CEO, Vice President Regulatory Affairs, MDMA
–Anna Abram, Deputy Comissioner for Policy, Planning, Legislation and Analysis, Food & Drug Administration (FDA)
–Dr. Josh Luke, Healthcare Futurist &Professor, Price School of Public Policy, USC
Innovation Track: Panel: Inventor to Entrepreneur – How to Monetize Your Inventions
This panel will discuss the difference between innovation and entrepreneurship, and provide the roadmap to monetize your inventions. It will also further explore the relationships between physicians (product users), engineers (product innovators and innovators), and field sales and marketing teams (often the liaison between the two), and how collaboration can be leveraged for new product innovation.
– Tom Mitro, President & COO, Aerie Pharmaceuticals (Moderator)
– Andy Corley, Founder, Yelroc Consulting & Co-Founder, Flying L Partners, Former Co-Founder, Eyeonics
– Ron Bache, President & CEO, Bache, Inc. Former President & CEO, AqueSys, Inc. (Acquired by Allergan in 2015)
– Chris Calcaterra, COO, Glaukos
2:45 – 3:30
Panel: The Race to Develop Molecular Diagnostic Technologies
Orange County is emerging as a hotbed for company formation and growth in the $6.5B molecular diagnostics market. The molecular diagnostics panel will discuss the opportunities and challenges in commercializing breakthrough technologies including regulatory approval, clinical adoption, and reimbursement. This panel will also address the unique role of medical societies as a gatekeeper in commercial adoption.
– Clay Wilemon, CEO & Chief Strategy Officer, DevicePharm (Moderator)
– Dr. Franklin Libenson, Vice President of Global Marketing, Agendia
– Nigel Clarke, VP of R&D, Quest Diagnostics
– Bob Terbrueggen, CEO, DxTerity Diagnostics
3:30 – 3:45
Exhibit & Refreshment Break
3:45 – 4:30
Industry Track: Panel: Orange County – The Affordable, Attractive & Preferred Destination
This panel will address how to retain and attract companies in Orange County. It will also identify challenges, discuss myths, and review the current infrastructure of medtech ecosystem resources such as investment capital, real estate, manufacturing, education, and talent.
– Jim Mazzo, Global President of Ophthalmic Devices, Zeiss (Moderator)
– Bill Carpou, CEO, OCTANe
– Jim Doti, Professor & President Emeritus, Chapman University
– Doug Holte, President, Irvine Company
Innovation Track: Panel: Successful Expansion in Europe & Asia
This panel will discuss the global innovation environment in both Europe and Asia. It will feature experts that know the markets as well as companies that have successfully launched and scaled medtech bsuinesses in the US, Europe & Asia.
– K&L Gates, Representing Europe & Asia* (Moderator)
– Grant Schick, Business Chief of Staff, 11 Health & Technologies Limited
4:45 – 5:30
Panel: Machine Learning Technologies and the Impact on Companies & Patients
This panel will highlight the convergence of technology and medical technology by providing tangible examples and applications of Artificial Intelligence (AI), Augmented Reality (AR), Virtual Reality (VR), and Big Data. It will also discuss how these technologies impact both industry and patient experiences.
– Bill Ayres, Director, Health Care Advisory Services, RSM US LLP (Moderator)
– Rahul Soangra, Assistant Professor, Dept. of Physical Therapy, Harry & Dianne Rinker Health Sciences Campus, Chapman University
– Frances A. Ayalasoayajula, MHP, MSMIS, PMP, Global Healthcare Solutions Industry Solutions Organization, HP Inc.
– Cavan Canavan, CEO, FocusMotion
Innovation Track: Panel: Global 101- International Expansion
This panel will discuss the global innovation environment and opportunities that exist throughout various countries, such as launching a company internationally, clinical trial accessibility, tax credits, manufacturing and product development. It was also highlight attractive funding opportunities, like increased access to capital from Asia, Europe and the Middle East.
– Ireland: Michael Storan, Vice President, IDA Ireland
– Canada: Mohammad Kondri, International Business Development Officer, Trade Commissioner, Life Sciences & Medtech, Consulate General of Canada
– Holland: Marianne van der Steen, Chair of Entrepenuership in Health Care, Maastricht University
– UK: Ravi Chana, Sector Specialist- Medtech, Department for International Trade
5:45 – 6:30
Panel: The University Impact – Preparing the Talent Pool
This session will harness the power of local universities, which produce the greatest amount of engineers in the nation, to prepare the next generation of the medtech workforce.
– Gregory Washington, Dean, Samueli School of Engineering, UC Irvine (Moderator)
– Yannis Yortsos, Dean, Viterbi School of Engineering, USC
– Jayathi Murthy, Dean, Samueli School of Engineering, UCLA
– Albert Pisano, Dean, Jacobs School of Engineering, UCSD
– Guruswami (Ravi) Ravichandran, Division Chair- Engineering, CalTech
6:30 – 7:30
Cocktail & Networking Reception
6:30 – 8:30
Private Reception (by invitation only, please)
DAY TWO: Tuesday, October 31, 2017
7:30 – 8:50am
Chairman’s Breakfast (by invitation only, please)
This exclusive, intimate breakfast will connect conference speakers, sponsors, industry CEOs and investors, and will include a special keynote presentation by Geoff Tabin, MD, Founder of the Himalayan Cataract Project, which works to eradicate blindness in the developing world.
– Geoff Tabin, MD, Founder, Himalayan Cataract Project
– Jim Mazzo, Global President of Ophthalmic Device, Zeiss
7:30 – 9:00
Registration, Breakfast & Exhibits
9:00 – 9:45
Keynote: The Future of Healthcare
This keynote will highlight the future of healthcare and its affect on entrepreneurs to big industry.
– Joshua Newman, MD, Chief Medical Officer, Salesforce
9:45 – 10:30
Keynote: Investment Opportunities
This panel will focus on investment opportunities in the medtech sector.
– Albert Cha, MD, PhD, Managing Partner, Vivo Capital
– Scott Whitcup, MD, CEO, Akrivista & Whitecap Biosciences
10:30 – 10:45
Exhibit & Refreshment Break
10:45 – 12:45
LaunchPad Company Presentations
LaunchPad, OCTANe’s award-winning, high-tech accelerator, will select eight of its top medtech companies to give presentations.
– David Mildrew, Managing Director, BioQuest (Moderator)
12:45 – 12:50
LaunchPad Company Presentation Award
LaunchPad Company Presentations will be judged by top medtech investors. Their respective scores will be tallied, and the company with the highest score will receive the LaunchPad Company Presentation Award.
Sponsors include: BioQuest, DevicePharm, Fuel Source Partners, K&L Gates, Knobbe Martens, ROTH Capital, and RSM US LLP
12:50 – 1:25
Keynote: Tying it All Together
This closing session will highlight the main themes discussed during MTIF 2017 and identify actionable takeaways attendees can directly apply to their businesses.
– Bill Carpou (Moderator)
– Jim Mazzo, Global President of Ophthalmic Devices, Zeiss
– Dr. Michael Stamos, CEO, UC Irvine School of Medicine
– Michael Hedge, Administrative Partner, K&L Gates
– Sabing Lee, Partner, Knobbe Martens
– Tom Mitro, President & COO, Aerie Pharmaceuticals
– Clay Wilemon, CEO & Chief Strategy Officer, DevicePharm
1:30 – 3:30
Lunch & Entertainment