Silicon Valley Incubator
Title: Executive Director
Location: On-site, San Mateo, California
Compensation: Commensurate with experience
The EvoNexus Silicon Valley FinTech Incubator is hiring an Executive Director. The position, located in San Mateo, will ideally be filled by an individual who is deeply passionate about early-stage FinTech ventures, and has a strong network across the California Bay Area FinTech ecosystem. The candidate will be responsible for expanding the EvoNexus footprint in the Bay Area, as well as overseeing the day-to-day operations of the FinTech incubator. The candidate should be passionate about the EvoNexus mission and be committed to the long-term success of the FinTech incubator.
EvoNexus is a not-for-profit 501(c)6 organization founded in 2008, by Rory Moore and Admiral Walter Davis. Headquartered in San Diego, the unique 2-year incubation program attracts applications from early-stage FinTech, MedTech, CommTech and Embedded Tech ventures seeking to benefit from EvoNexus’ strategic advisors and capital connections. The EvoNexus Silicon Valley FinTech Incubator launched in 2019 and has since supported several exciting early-stage ventures. EvoNexus is financially backed by our corporate partners who are some of the largest multinational technology corporations in the world. Their financial and strategic support enables us to perpetuate our low-equity, not-for-profit incubation model.
EvoNexus is an equal opportunity employer that is committed to diversity and inclusion in the workplace. We prohibit discrimination and harassment of any kind based on race, color, sex, religion, sexual orientation, national origin, disability, genetic information, pregnancy, or any other protected characteristic as outlined by federal, state, or local laws.
Drive high quality applicants to the FinTech program through targeted outreach to specific channels and referral networks and admit FinTech companies with a high potential to disrupt and advance the financial services sector.
Secure strategic FinTech sponsors with industry stature and the commitment to invest in the incubator.
Generate High Quality Deal Flow and Develop Portfolio Relationships
- Develop strong relationships with company CEOs and founding team members so as to be viewed as a trusted partner privy to information and timely understanding of company progress. Seek to be included in important company meetings with investors, strategic partners, mentors, etc.
- Use EvoNexus, Sponsor, Investor, and personal networks to advance development of incubating companies and connect these companies with relevant investors and partners when timely and appropriate.
- Build and aggressively engage a referral network of key contacts and highly placed decision-makers to heighten deal flow to the Fintech incubator. Channels should include, but not be limited to:
- Angel and Venture Investors
- Trade associations
- Entrepreneur clubs
- Other incubators
- Service providers
- Secure speaking engagements with complimentary organizations to advance Fintech incubator awareness and drive relevant deal flow.
- Analyze selection and company oversight processes. Identify & implement improvements. Align processes with reporting requirements and document changes.
Sponsorship Relations & Growth
- Maintain and expand relations with current sponsors, supporters, and EvoNexus volunteers to ensure Fintech incubator activities closely align with sponsor needs, goals, and objectives.
- Work closely with sponsors and the EvoNexus ecosystem to identify and approach potential sponsors.
- Secure new strategic sponsors that add to the brand and contribute to the investment.
Selection Committee & Mentors
- Establish productive working relationships with EvoNexus selection committee members and mentors, encouraging their continued service to portfolio companies and engagement in other EvoNexus programs.
- Recruit new FinTech selection committee members and mentors, particularly as it pertains to areas where domain expertise is weak or lacking.
- Push for routine and regular interactions between companies and their mentors. Encourage routine, planned exchanges with clear objectives and outcomes. Participate in mentor meetings when possible. When necessary, proactively assess, manage, and resolve reasons for disengagement.
- Ensure mentors adhere to EvoNexus code of conduct and avoid conflicts of interest
Competencies & Experience
- Forge productive relationships with new and existing sponsors
- Experience developing a deal-flow pipeline through networks and referrals
- Experience navigating venture capital or angel investing scene
- Deep experience both growing early-stage companies and managing high visibility projects within large, multi-national corporations
- Knowledge of Fintech and financials systems, coupled with the ability to identify disruptive technologies and accurately assess value to both sponsors and the marketplace at large
- Ability to quickly assess founding teams, identify skills and performance gaps, and formulate plans to close those gaps
- Understands the nuances of technology roadmaps, can identify gaps, and then guide early-stage companies towards efficient development of creative, impactful solutions
- Exceptional communicator with excellent presentation, coaching and mentoring skills
- Practical experience analyzing financials/cap tables, reviewing legal documents, and structuring deals
Interested in applying?
Fill out the form below, qualified candidates will be contacted regarding next steps.